Olmsted Brothers

Return to List of Collections
To view the finding aid for this collection, see the Finding Aid at the Online Archive of California.

The Olmsted Brothers firm was formed in 1898 by John Charles Olmsted (1852-1920) and Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. (1870-1957). These two stepbrothers were the son and stepson of Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr., an early American landscape architect and designer of New York's Central Park. The Olmsted Brothers completed numerous large projects, including comprehensive park systems, universities, exposition grounds, libraries, hospitals, and state capitols. The brothers were also among the founding members of the American Society of Landscape Architects.

The Olmsted Brothers collection consists of a few planting plans for Saint Francis Wood (San Francisco) as well as a reproduction of the plan for Oakland’s Mountain View Cemetery, by Olmsted & Vaux.