Return to List of Collections
To download a list of projects by this architect in an Excel spreadsheet, see the Project Index. For instructions on interpreting the Project Index, see The Guide to the Project Index.
To view the finding aid for this architect's collection, see the Finding Aid at the Online Archive of California.
Henry Meyers (1867-1943)
Henry H. Meyers studied architecture at night in San Francisco before entering the firm of Percy and Hamilton as an apprentice around 1890, becoming chief draftsman and principal following the deaths of Percy and Hamilton. Meyers partnered with Clarence R. Ward from 1904- 1910, practiced independently from 1910-1922, and was associated with George R. Klinkhardt after 1922. Meyers concurrently worked as the Alameda County architect after 1912. His daughter, Mildred S. Meyers, studied at the University of California, Berkeley, before joining her father's firm after 1930. Before his 1936 retirement Meyers completed more than 200 governmental, commercial, and institutional buildings in the San Francisco Bay Area, Northern California, Hawaii, and Guam.
The Henry H. Meyers collection is comprised of the contents of Meyers' office including drawings, photographs and project files, as well as furnishings and books. The project records thoroughly document his wide range of governmental, commercial, institutional, and residential buildings. Most records date from after 1906 when the San Francisco earthquake completely destroyed Meyers' first office, through Meyers' retirement in 1936. The collection includes records of work completed with his various partners and associates as well as records of his work as Alameda County architect. Notable projects include Highland Hospital, the Posey tube superstructure, and ten Alameda County Veterans Memorial buildings.