Return to List of Collections
To view the finding aid for this architect's collection, see the Finding Aid at the Online Archive of California.
Hermann Barth (1865-1923)
Born in Germany and educated abroad, architect Hermann Barth arrived in San Francisco in 1881. After working in a number of firms, Barth opened his own office in 1905. His practice included both commercial and residential work, and he designed numerous Bay Area hospitals. Barth was a member of the San Francisco Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
The Hermann Barth collection spans the period of 1896-1917 and consists primarily of drawings from the early 1900s. The most well-documented projects in the collection include the South-East Wing of the San Francisco City Hospital (1915- 1916), the German Hospital (ca. 1896), the San Francisco Masonic Temple (n.d.), commercial buildings for Mrs. W.W. Young, and the Alameda Moving Picture Theater (n.d.).