The Environmental Design Archives is hosting its second annual form follows Chair Design Competition this fall. Open to all students in CED, the competition requires participants to visit the Archives to review selected collection materials to inspire their chair design. Archival materials curated by staff will reflect this year’s theme of post-war design. We are asking you to think about the close relationship between your design and the person who might use it; the archival project that inspired it; and the physical and emotional impacts it might have.
Participants should submit a design comprised of drawings – no more than two 11 X 17 sheets, and a small model no larger than 7” x 7”x 7”. A panel of judges will determine the top five designs and those students will be provided a stipend to construct their design to full-scale in the CED Fabrication Shop. Students selected for the second round will only be provided with a single sheet of birch plywood (4’ x 8’) to construct their chair, and this should be factored into initial designs. A second judging round by the CED community will select the top three chairs and a cash prize will be awarded!
Round 1 Submissions:
- no more than two 11 x 17 sheets of drawings, which must include an image of the archival project referenced
- PDFs of printed materials for online exhibition submitted via Dropbox to firstname.lastname@example.org
- small model, no larger than 7” x 7”x 7”
Round 2 Submissions:
- Full-scale chair using only 1 sheet of birch plywood (4’ x 8’). All finishing/staining must be water based. Fabrication Shop will provide students with supplies.
- Participating students must already have access to the CED Fabrication shop, or be able to pay for access out of pocket
- Students selected to move onto the second round will be able to construct their full-size designs in the CED Fabrication shop from October 13-November 15, 2017
During the reception on November 16, the CED community will vote on the top 3 designs and a cash prize will be awarded: 1st place - $500, 2nd place - $250, 3rd place - $150. In order to participate in the voting round, all chairs must be completed at full-scale and must be functional as attendees will be encouraged to sit in them.
Design: September 5-October 6, 2017 - Environmental Design Archives
Students may visit the archives on Tuesday and Friday from 9-4 pm to view archival materials to encourage their designs. Appointments are 30 minutes, and must be booked in advance by completing this form and emailing email@example.com.
1st Judging: Thursday, October 12, 2017 - Wurster Gallery
Students are responsible for installing their designs in the Wurster Gallery from 12-4 pm. Reception from 5-7 pm with judging from 6-7 pm.
Building: October 13-November 13, 2017 - CED Fabrication Shop
Selected students will be able to use the CED Fabrication Shop during these dates to construct their full-size design. Participating students must already have access to the CED Fabrication shop, or be able to pay for access out of pocket.
2nd Judging: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - Wurster Gallery
Students are responsible for installing their completed chairs in the Wurster Gallery from 9 am-12 pm. Judging will be open to the CED community from 1-6 pm and the top three designs will be announced at the end of the evening (6pm).