William Yelland (1890-1966)
William Raymond Yelland earned his B.S. in architecture from University of California, Berkeley, in 1913, and received his license in California in 1916. In 1920 Yelland joined the Oakland office of Miller and Warnecke. By 1924, he had set up an independent practice in Oakland. In the early 1950s Yelland moved to Milan, Italy, where he lived for the remainder of his life.
The William Raymond Yelland collection consists primarily of project records, which include specifications, drawings, correspondence, and notes. Drawings, which form the bulk of the collection, largely relate to residential work, although some commercial and apartment buildings, including Normandy Village, are also included. The collection also includes an attendance book and other materials from a technical drawing class that Yelland taught at night for adults through the Oakland Public Schools in 1933.