Louis Christian Mullgardt (1866-1942)
Louis Christian Mullgardt (left) was born in Washington, Missouri, and began apprenticing with architectural firms in St. Louis at age fifteen. Mullgardt formed two short-lived partnerships and worked as a structural consultant in England before arriving in San Francisco to open his own office in 1905. Between 1905 and approximately 1920 he designed residences and large buildings in the San Francisco Bay Area and was appointed to the board of the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, for which he designed an ornate courtyard. Mullgardt also designed the President’s house for Stanford University (1915-1918), the M. H. de Young Memorial Museum in Golden Gate Park (1916-1921), and a block-long business center in Honolulu (1919-1921).
The Mullgardt collection consists of specifications and drawings for the Evans residence in Mill Valley, working drawings and a photograph of the Court of the Ages (from the Panama-Pacific International Exposition), drawings of a commercial building in Honolulu, and photographs of an unidentified residence in Piedmont, California.