Return to List of Collections
To see a list of projects by this architect in an Excel spreadsheet, see the Project Index. For instructions on interpreting the Project Index, see The Guide to the Project Index.
To view the finding aid for this firm's collection, see the Finding Aid at the Online Archive of California.
The firm of Howard & White was founded in 1909 by George Howard and John White, who had shared an office with Bernard Maybeck from 1907-1908 while working on numerous reconstruction projects after San Francisco’s 1906 earthquake. John White was the brother of Mark White, Maybeck's long term associate, and Annie White Maybeck. Little is known about George Howard.
The Howard & White collection consists primarily of drawings and correspondence which document residential projects completed by the firm. Some photographs are also included. Within the collection are records pertaining to the Kohl residence “The Oaks” located in Hillsborough, CA, which was featured in the architectural periodical The Architect and Engineer.